history

The Wietzes Toyota story began in the mid-1950's. Original owner Jan Wietzes emigrated from Holland with his young family to build a life in Canada, settling with his wife, two sons and daughter in Toronto. With a background in auto mechanics, he partnered to open his first repair garage on Fleet Street and then moved to Mount Pleasant and Broadway in mid-town Toronto to take over a Supertest gas station. That soon led to selling used vehicles and a reputation for excellent service spread throughout the city. As Jan's two sons, Eppie and Bert became involved and his business expanded, it was time to look for a new location and the company moved to 6080 Yonge Street in Willowdale. Many people told them that it was too far out in the country and they would have difficulties succeeding "way up there". Little did they know at the time what a great location it would turn out to be!

After trying different automotive manufacturers of the time, including Sunbeam, Peugot and Fiat, they were approached with the opportunity of taking on a franchise new to Canada. So in April of 1969, they signed on with the little known Toyota franchise. And so Wietzes Toyota started, with the sales of Toyota Coronas, Crowns and Land Cruisers, to early 1980 and the launch of the Toyota Tercel which propelled Toyota into the Canadian marketplace.

Wietzes enjoyed a great deal of success over the years on Yonge Street with Toyota, building a reputation for honesty and a family way of doing business that customers embraced.

After over 40 years as a Toyota dealer and with over 30,000 new Toyotas sold, the family tradition still continues in our facility at 7080 Dufferin Street.

Bert and Eppie's two sons are actively involved in the dealership, and so the third generation of Wietzes moves forward to provide the very best in Toyota sales and service.